Monday 27 May 2013

Thrifty book finds: childhood revisited

Pay day just arrived - the one time where I don't feel like a student and can buy things that I convince myself I really really need. This time I told myself that there would be no unnecessary spending but I just couldn't resist getting some books as they were being sold at a second-hand book sale at my church for the ridiculous price of R2 each.

I was drawn to the children's section where I found some of my childhood favourites that I haven't read in years. They all had that distinct old book smell and I just couldn't say no (as always).


I was particularly pleased with the Louisa May Alcott books that I found, although I have a suspicion that they won't be mine for much longer once my little sister finds them. Her constant re-reading of Little Women is the reason my old copy fell apart.


I also found a copy of Lewis Carrolls's Through the Looking Glass, and while the prettiness of the front and back covers was what initially caught my eye, the images on the inside were even better.




I'm hoping that with more searching, I can find some old copies of The Magic Faraway Tree series. Remember Mr Saucepan Man and Moon-Face and Silky and Dame Wash-A-Lot?

You're never too old for a little magic in your life, and if that means believing in trees that whisper in the wind and grow a variety of fruit all at once, or wishing that the Land of Birthdays would come around just in time for your own, then I don't mind revisiting some of my favourites.

Alas, I have a third year English Literature exam coming up and so for now, more grown up novels await.

1 comment:

  1. I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your site. It'ѕ a very eaѕy
    on thе eyeѕ which makes it much mοre plеaѕant
    for mе tо сome here anԁ visіt
    more often. Did you hіrе οut a dеsigner to сrеate
    yοuг themе? Eхcellent ωoгk!


    Also ѵisіt mу site: Nick Yates

    ReplyDelete