Wednesday 6 March 2013

Sugar packet wisdom

Sometimes you find what you need in the oddest places.

A while ago a friend told me that I'm the kind of person who, when everyone is going left, I'll be going right and taking my own random route. Since then, I've been thinking about this, wondering whether I really do the opposite of everyone else (I didn't even realise) and whether I should try to be more normal, whatever that is. 

At the end of last year, I applied for a job to be a sub-warden in my residence at Rhodes and I was worried that I had to be more responsible, more serious, more stern, make less dodgy jokes, wear smart pants to the interview, and most importantly, be less ditzy and blonde (not sure how that's even possible). This was just one out of MANY times when I felt like to be "right" and succeed I had to be something I'm not.

And then, while taking a 15 hour bus trip from Durban to Grahamstown, I got a complimentary cup of coffee with some life changing sugar. This is what the packaging said.

I took that as a sign (from the bus driver? Huletts? God?) and decided to just be my not very serious self, say whatever is on my mind and embrace the fact that I will always be a little bit of a silly girl. I even wore a short skirt to the interview because let's face it, I look strange in formal black pants and a shirt and all that jazz. 

The result? I got the job. 

The moral? Be you. Be different. Be strange. Be a success. 

1 comment: