Saturday 20 April 2013

Gangs of Ballet on the soundtrack to my life - check

I thought that having a favourite band was something we did in our teen years when we were young and impressionable and liked to be able to say ‘that’s my song’. I thought that we’d grow up and learn to tolerate whatever was played on the radio when driving to work, much like our parents do. That we wouldn’t always religiously follow a band, be it Linkin Park, My Chemical Romance or heaven forbid, Westlife, just because it defined the years and the experiences, the good, the bad and everything in between.

I thought all of these things until I heard Gangs of Ballet on the radio for the first time. It was one of those wait stop what is that song that’s playing moments.  When I realised they were just a small band from my home town – Durban - doing something big in this world, I was blown away. And just when I thought I could not have more love for their music, I heard them live a few months later. 

In a dark, crowded club with a cold beer in hand surrounded by good friends and one of the most amazing guys I know, Gangs of Ballet began to play and I found myself shouting ‘this is my song!’ to no one in particular.

"...Someone's got to fight for it. No one's here to give it up. Someone's got to fight for you..."
Cue goosebumps.

I now accept the possibility that I may never hear anything as beautiful as Hello Sweet World live again. And that’s ok because that one experience is enough to make my life. The music is powerful. It’s haunting. It’s anthemic. Most importantly, the message that comes through from their lyrics is so genuine and beautiful. 

I recently read an interview in which the lead of Gangs of Ballet, Brad Klynsmith said, "It's only those that make it to the end that win; you can't give up halfway." I get the feeling that they take this approach in the music and in the videos they make, which are exceptional.

My only hope for you, dear reader, is that you too will experience their music live (if you haven’t already), and that you too will learn that no matter how old you are, there will always be a band that defines all the moments that matter. In my case, it is the Gangs of Ballet.


A member of Civil Twilight wears a Gangs of Ballet shirt. That's how cool they are.






1 comment:

  1. Hi Carissa, I love the way the look of your blog is so in tune with the tone of its content. A great read for lightness, diversity of subject (surprise R us), all fluently and thoughtfully offered.

    ReplyDelete