Wednesday 28 August 2013

Good music? They've got you covered!

There are few things in the world worse than people who take a perfectly good song and make a bad cover. Seriously, it was fine before, why would you go and record the exact same thing without making any changes except putting your stupid voice to it and then rerelease it? For examples of pointless covers, look no further than Westlife's nonsense.

I think that if you're going to copy someone else, well for goodness sake at least do it better. So today's post is dedicated to those artists who did not just cover a song, but perfected it. Here are my favourites. Just don't ask me which version of 'Hallelujah' is the best, I'm afraid that's something that may never be settled. 

First up is Daft Punk's 'Get Lucky'. I've heard many covers and they're all pretty average. Then along comes Daughter with their version of it which is so different, and yet it works.


Then there's Birdy. This girl is amazing, and she's only 17. Her cover of Bon Iver's 'Skinny Love' is undoubtedly one of her most well known songs. But my favourite has to be her cover of 'White Winter Hymnal' (originally by Fleet Foxes). My word. What a gem. 



And even though U2 are pretty much legends, I have to include Jack White's cover of 'Love is Blindness', featured in The Great Gatsby. It is such a powerful version. To quote a YouTube commenter, "U2's version is like the guy who accepts his girlfriend was cheating on him. Jack White kills the bitch". 


Another band I wouldn't think to mess with is Arcade Fire. But their song 'The Suburbs' was covered Mr Little Jeans, the stage name for Monica Birkenes, a not so well known Norwegian singer. Her music is just dreamy and I'm not surprised by how great this actually is. 


Also known as that song from the KFC ad, Ellie Goulding's cover of 'Your Song' is beautiful. 


And it's not just slightly indie artists that I'm favouring because here is one of my all time favourite covers. Seether took George Michael's somewhat cheesy 'Careless Whisper' and made it cool again. And if you didn't already know, they are proudly South African!

1 comment: